Our approach is one of inclusion. We view Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) information and related risks to be additive to our investment process. Our implementation and integration does not replace fundamental or technical analysis. Rather, ESG analysis may be performed in conjunction with traditional evaluation, as we believe ESG risks should be considered in the decision making process.
The United Nations-supported PRI initiative is an international network of investors working together in an effort to put the six Principles for Responsible Investment into practice. PRI signatories endeavor to:
- Incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making process
- Be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices
- Seek appropriate disclosures on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest
- Promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry
- Work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles
- Report our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles
These Principles represent the goal of understanding the implications of sustainability for investors and supporting signatories to incorporate these issues into their investment decision making and ownership practices. The Principles are voluntary and aspirational.
Mariner believes ESG information and analysis are important for many reasons including to identify potential risks within our investments. We are committed to implementing ESG factors within our investment process, and have dedicated considerable resources in an effort to ensure investment practices are in line with our stated goal of embracing the UN PRI Principles and including ESG information as part of our investment considerations. By utilizing MSCI ESG Analytics to analyze certain investments on an ongoing basis, we have been able to assess potential risks in regards to ESG factors and add a layer of information to our robust research capabilities. Additionally, we are constantly searching for ways to enhance our ESG framework, be it through additional resources or internal processes. We are committed to this implementation, and expect understanding the implications ESG risks can have on an investment portfolio to be the norm in the near future.